“Greenfield says Iowa farmers ‘deserve answers for why Senator Ernst voted for a fossil fuel lobbyist to run the EPA in the first place.’” – NAFB News Service
Theresa Greenfield spent this week “hammering” Senator Joni Ernst for her failure to protect Iowa’s farm economy and biofuels industry after accepting massive contributions from Big Oil and voting to confirm EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler.
While Theresa called for Wheeler to resign and launched a new radio ad, Ernst refused to call for his resignation and failed to defend her record of voting for a fossil fuel lobbyist to run the EPA.
Read more about how Theresa has held Ernst accountable for her failure to fight for Iowa farmers in Washington:
Radio ad calling out Ernst’s broken promises to Iowa Farmers: Theresa released a new radio ad holding Ernst accountable for her failed ethanol record. Check it out here.
Leading the call for EPA Administrator Wheeler to resign: This week, Theresa called for EPA Administrator Wheeler, a former fossil fuel lobbyist, to resign after reports that the EPA is considering issuing more than 50 RFS waivers that could devastate Iowa farmers and ethanol jobs. Watch Theresa’s statement calling for Wheeler’s resignation and demanding new leadership at the EPA that puts Iowa first.
Senator Ernst is standing by her vote to confirm Wheeler and has refused to call for his resignation.
- NAFB News Service: “Greenfield says Iowa farmers ‘deserve answers for why Senator Ernst voted for a fossil fuel lobbyist to run the EPA in the first place.’”
- Cedar Rapids Gazette: “Patty Judge and Democratic Senate candidate Theresa Greenfield called for Wheeler’s resignation this past week to ‘give our industry a chance.’”
- Agri-Pulse: “‘He made it clear during his confirmation process that he would continue these waivers and handouts to big oil, and I am hot under the collar about it because Senator Ernst voted for him anyway,’ Greenfield told reporters Monday.”
- E&E News: “Sen. Joni Ernst’s (R-Iowa) election opponent is calling on EPA head Andrew Wheeler to resign over his biofuels policies and is challenging Ernst to join her call.”
- Politico: “Republican Sen. Joni Ernst’s Democratic challenger is hammering the Iowa senator in tweets and a new radio spot for her votes to confirm EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler, who she says has undermined the federal biofuels program by issuing dozens of exemptions to the Renewable Fuel Standard.”
- Blog for Iowa: “Greenfield said since Joni Ernst hasn’t called for the resignation of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Andrew Wheeler over 52 new Renewable Fuel Standard waivers she will. And she did.”
In addition to postponing in-person events, the Greenfield for Iowa campaign is taking precautions by having all staff work remotely and encouraging social distancing practices at all times. For more information on Iowa’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak, please visit the Iowa Department of Public Health website.